Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Drivetrain for the 36

I picked up a 383 SBC to go in the 36.  I decided to run the Edelbrock Performer RPM intake that came on it to start with.  I wanted it to look more traditional though and I plan to run vintage valve covers with no holes in the so I added an oil fill/breather tube to the manifold.

Thursday, September 1, 2016

36 Ford Pickup Body and Related Bits and Pieces

I picked up this cool old BLC fog light in a lot of lights that I bought at an auction.  I might put it on the 36 but we'll see when the time comes.

I found a bed that should work.  It's a bit rusty but that can be sorted out.

I found another bed that is actually a 30's Chevy bed but it's in better shape and I like the patina a better.

I really like these early 50's Cadillac/Olds air cleaners.  I picked this one up recently and may use it.

I rebuilt the SignalStat 700 turn signal switch that was in the 36 when I got it.  I decided to rewire it so that the indicator lights on it match the turn direction rather than being front and back burned out light indicators.

Inside the switch housing, there are 3 contacts.  I bent the bottom one up so that it no longer makes contact.  That one turned on the indicator lights on the switch for front and back.  I did this along with rewiring the back side so that now, the two indicator lights act as side to side indicators rather than front and back. 

I picked up a couple of cool old rear mount Stewart Warner gauges from a friend.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

36 Ford Frame Work

I decided to go more traditional with the build after talking to friends.  I was given this 40 Ford frame and it will get modified for the build.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

36 Ford Truck Drivetrain and Suspension Work

I finally picked up the rear end for the 36.  It's a Ford 8.8 limited slip with 3.73:1 gears and disk brakes out of an Exploder.

I sold the 8.8 and will get a 9" for this build.

Here's the heavily dropped 33-4 axle that a friend of mine sold me.  I also picked up a set of 46-8 spindles and hubs to go with.

I'll use 40 Ford juice brakes.  I bead blasted the insides of the backing plates and painted them and brushed and oiled the outside to keep the patina.

I picked up a set of F1 front shock mounts as well.

Here are the 16x4 wheels I'm planning to use.  I have 3 that are matching and 2 others that don't have pinstripes.  I'll probably try to put stripes on one and sell the other.

Here's the model A rear buggy spring that I will use.

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

1936 Ford Truck Cab Chop

I decided to start a new post and have all the chop pics in one post.  I left a bunch of the initial chop pics in my first post about the truck because they are linked into threads in some forums.

Bracing the cab for the chop.

Laying out the chop.  After I took these pics, I changed the layout on the back.  I forgot to take pics of the revised layout.  These pics show the layout for a larger back window.  I changed it to be a mailslot and removed the cut under the window that would have dropped the bottom of the window down a bit.

The start of the cutting.

Tacking the back back together.

Splitting the roof to stretch it.

Found some lead in an A pillar.  Dang!

Turns out there was lead in both A pillars and it was not from repaired damage.  It was factory lead over a welded joint.  The factory welds are ugly!  I started filling them a  bit and grinding them smooth.  I found some rust under the lead as well.  

I had to replace a section of drip rail on my roof top filler piece.

Then I installed the section.

I made a relief cut to get the roof to lie flat again.

I had a friend over this last weekend and he pointed out that I have a reverse rake the way things are sitting right now.  I guess I have some extra work ahead of me to sort that out as it needs to change.  It's subtle but it will change the attitude of the chop a lot.

I split the door top and tacked it to the door then clamped it.

I started cutting pieces out of the sections that i cut out of the door frames to use as filler in the door.

The other door top extension is done too.

The A-pillars are cut to length.

I re-split the roof to slide the front forward to match the re-cut a-pillars. I then started matching up the a-pillars.

Once the A-pillars were set, I needed to re-cut the door tops to modify the shape a little.  I had them to straight in both the vertical and horizontal directions.  

Second roof filler is in.

The door tops are welded.  I still need to blend the edge flanges and grind.

I started on the A pillars...

I started grinding the doors so that I can blend the flange edges.

I blended the back edge of one door.

I got the front edge of the door blended.

I finally was able to get all the bracing out and get inside to finish up the rear window opening and get a feel for the inside!